Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 is a Java Micro Edition (ME) 8 runtime that leverages the core Java ME technologies deployed in billions of mobile devices around the world. The Java ME 8 specifications are designed to be rich in functionality, portable to a wide range of devices, flexible, and secure while being very resource-efficient and keeping the demands on the underlying platform low.
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 builds on this proven technology to deliver a highly-optimized and complete client Java runtime stack optimized for resource-constrained, connected, and intelligent embedded systems. It provides a robust and flexible cross-platform application environment based on Java ME 8 standards Java ME Connected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) 8 (JSR 360) and Java ME Embedded Profile (MEEP) 8 (JSR 361) and implements dedicated embedded functionality for a broad range of use cases.
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 is supported by a range of best-in-class developer tools, such as the Oracle Java ME SDK 8, as well as plug-ins for popular Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) such as NetBeans. These tools offer system designers and developers a rich and productive environment to create sophisticated small embedded solutions leveraging the benefits of the Java language, runtime, and ecosystem while meeting while meeting tight system resource targets. The figure below illustrates the product stack-
Example Use Cases
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 targets a wide range of embedded platforms and use cases in the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) and Internet Of Things (IoT) spaces such as:
- Wireless modules
- Smart meters/smart sensors
- Industrial controllers
- Telehealth devices
- Environment al remote monitors
- Tracking systems
- Home automation devices
- Connected vending machines
- and general use cases where devices with local intelligence and versatile connectivity are required
- Complete solution for a highly-optimized client Java ME 8 runtime stack optimized for resource-constrained, connected, and intelligent embedded devices
- Providing a robust and flexible, cross-platform application environment for small embedded solutions
- Very low footprint and CPU requirements, scaling from micro-controller class systems up to mid-range embedded devices
- Fully compliant with CLDC 8 (JSR 360) and MEEP 8 (JSR-361) plus support for a number of additional optional JSRs: File I/O API’s (JSR-75), Wireless Messaging API’s (JSR-120), Web Services (JSR-172), Security and Trust Services subset (JSR-177), Location API’s (JSR-179), XML API’s (JSR-280)
- Dedicated embedded functionality for developing sophisticated embedded solutions, including remote application management and monitoring, remote system configuration, support for robust 24x7 operation, and direct access to peripheral I/O hardware from Java
- Highly portable and extensible system design to meet the needs of diverse embedded requirements, providing a foundation which enables downstream specialization, enhancements, and productization for specific target markets and use cases
- Supported by best-in class tools: Oracle Java ME SDK 8 and plug-ins for popular IDEs such as NetBeans – including support for device emulation and remote on-device debugging
- Backed by Oracle’s expertise in proven and widely commercially deployed Java ME technology
By using Java technologies for embedded products, device manufacturers, system integrators, and developers can build more functional, robust, secure, and long-lived solutions with a reduced time-to-market window, providing better, more cost efficient embedded solutions.
For developing Java applications for small embedded devices, the Oracle Java ME SDK 8 provides a complete and free set of tools, enabling developers to write, compile, deploy, and test their applications. For more information on the Oracle Java ME SDK 8, please click here